Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Day in Azure of Microsoft

Date: I guess It was 15th April..
"Microsoft: We offer products, it's your choice, if you use them or not"

It was a official visit to Microsoft Office at Domlur, Bangalore to attend Microsot Azure BootCamp. Microsoft has entered the Cloud Computing domain through their 'Azure' OS. It was a very informative conference to attend. But, don't worry in this post I am not going to explain the technicalities of the session. The day started with reaching the place and searching the Microsoft office in the web of offices with n number of roads inside that office city. Then finally finding the Microsoft office and particularly the conference room within the hug microsoft office. As usual we (me and my colleague) were an hour late. I rolled my eyes to find a place to put my ass and luckily got a seat in the last corner of the room. Then the introductory session about Microsoft Azure started with 3 biggies of Microsoft explaining the architects from different companies about this new product of MS. Most of the architect had more than 8-10 years of experience and had reached this level after doing a lot of coding using Microsoft Technologies but were reluctant to change the way they used to code to adopt the Azure way of coding for cloud. Hey! had I told you that this was a CTP, so microsofft invited us to provide some ideas what we need in the professional version of this product, what are we missing in the CTP version etc. Then after some interesting and boring debates about the way UI and Database is handled in Azure, the development, testing and deployment is done using Azure, etc. it was a relief as lunch time came to my rescue and I rushed for a quick smoke. And here came the thing I was shocked to note, I came out side in the reception block and found the doors locked and I didn't had the access, I waited ...waited...and waited....and then .. a guard came to bail me out and I asked him about the smoking zone. He guided me to way and asked me to put the ID card (visitor's card to be very precise) into my pocket. It surprised me because most of time everyone ask us to show the ID card and keep it out of the shirt pocket but here in Microsoft they follow it differently, "when you go for smoke, don't show your ID card, nobody should know that you are from Microsoft or are in microsoft office to attend any session for some work. Its about company image, sir". I said ok and went for a quick smoke and then attended the session as usual. Then in the end, the Q&A session started and techies started asking convention questions, like, can we do 'this' with Azure? sort of questions. For a period of time Microsoft guys tried to convince them with their syllogism but there is always a threshold, I guess, so one of the guys gave an end to this sanguine debate by giving a very true dialogue, "We here in Microsoft, offer products, We try to make the products eay to use, some products don't fulfill all the needs of the developers but still there is still a trust factor attached with Microsoft Tag and That's why we don't convince people to use these products, Its your wish you want to use it or not. And to be very frank, it is not having all the features you are looking for, but may be in future you would find more features than your expectations". This is what only a top MNC guy can say about the product, if you are promoting a product made by a small, one needs to convince people and they as usual don't get.

So I gave a "kutil muskan" as I say. And left the Camp to prepare MoM.
Was really a informative session, not just technical but also about how stuff works in world.

CYL
MS..

3 comments: